In the Bible study text this week, Beth Moore used an illustration of seeds. Once, when visiting Africa, she was asked to join a group doing mission work. The missionary explained to the group that the people were given seeds to plant in order to harvest. This would create a cycle of planting and harvesting, thus eliminating their hunger. However these people were so hungry they were eating the seeds. They were eating the cure for their hunger.
Mrs. Moore was using this illustration to explain how often Christians are like these starving people. On Sundays we are in church getting fed...we are eating the seed. This will satisfy the hunger for awhile. However, eventually Thursday or Friday will come and we will be STARVING again. Instead, we should be planting the seed we are getting at church, Bible study, Sunday school... Then we are to wait for the inevitable harvest. Then we can EAT.
We are missing out on the great gifts that God would like to provide. We instead want to eat right now.
This really struck me...I am the one eating the seeds. When am I going to get it through my head that I need to plant the seeds and wait. I can water and watch, but I still have to wait. By nature, I am not a waiter. But at some point, I need to have enough faith that God will allow my seed to grow.

No comments:
Post a Comment